Friday, November 4, 2016

Book Review: 1984 by George Orwell


Finally got to this classic & holy cows...it was hard to get through.  Not because it wasn't good; because frankly, it's a bit scary.  Doublethink, Big Brother, the Proles: some things that touch on things we see in society today.  Honestly, I wish this would have been assigned reading in high school, although I'm not sure I would have grasped everything.  It's sure a great lesson in the importance of freedom--in ideas, speech, learning, etc.  And also how those very freedoms can be twisted & used against the masses by the few in power to keep & expand the power they hold.

This is not a long book; if you have not read it--please put it on your TBR list.   You probably won't enjoy all of it, but this book will make you a better & more thoughtful human. I got about 3/4 through & had to put it aside for a bit, but I'm glad I came back & finished it.  This book really makes you think; it's not a summer blockbuster pure entertainment read, but you will be glad you finished it & the themes will stick in your mind for a long time to come...

amber