Friday, August 19, 2016

Book Review, Howl's Moving Castle


I've been a huge fan of the Miyazaki animated film for years; it's one of my all time favorites that I watch again & again.  So, when I came across a review for the book that said it's quite different from the film, I immediately put in an order on Ebay.  

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who likes fantasy whether you like the movie or not (how could you not...).  The book is different in ways, but a lot of the main characters are for the most part the same.  There were a few surprises that were pretty intriguing, actually: like Howl's home country for instance.  Calcifer; my favorite cranky fire demon is mostly the same personality, but a lot more interesting looking as described in the book--rainbow colored with a jaggedy grin.  Howl & Sofie are mostly consistent with  the film, Howl's apprentice is different in the book.

Anyway; the book is a pretty easy read--I finished it in one sitting & closed the cover with a smile.  I couldn't put this one back on my Ebay listings, as I see myself reading it again: might even search for a nice hardcover for my permanent collection : )  There aren't too many books that make it to my "keep forever" shelves, but this is one of them.  

Amber