Saturday, August 13, 2016

Book Review; The Goblin Emperor


This is the story of the emperor's 4th, half-breed son who was banished for 17 years until his father & brothers were killed in an "accident."  Suddenly, he finds himself crowned emperor: knowing nothing of court rules, decorum, politics, or even how to dance at the balls he must oversee.  Also, being a half-breed he must face discrimination & prove himself to the higher-ups in the government he is supposed to rule.   Of course power struggles, treachery, & murder attempts occur...

I quite liked the main character & his closest advisors.  It takes a while, but he does grow throughout the story & comes into his own at the end.   I actually would have liked to know more about what happened after he finally won over some of the characters; unfortunately there is no sequel yet.  

This is a long book, with tons of really weird, long names that are hard to keep straight.  Along with all the court politics & decorum: I found it a bit tedious at times.  I think there were some ideas and characters that could have been explored a lot more, but overall the writing was good. 

I would recommend this book to anyone who is into fantasy; although the fantasy elements are really minimal--it's also got some Steampunk contraptions thrown in that are pretty interesting.  I would say this one falls in at 7 out of 10 for me. 

Amber