Friday, May 29, 2015

Hackathons featured in the New York Times: I can't believe we are a small part of this awesome movement!

Major League Hacking just posted a link on Facebook to an article that was featured in the New York Times--all about Hacking Tournaments.   It just so happens; we have the giant trophy that travels the US for Major League Hacking in the studio right now for some repairs & upgrades.  I really can't believe that in some small way, we are a part of such a innovative & amazing movement!
 
This is the original trophy we created; it stands over 3 feet tall complete with LED lights, polished aluminum, & colored steel accents.  It has traveled the US for the last year; taking airplanes from city to city to be present at college campuses for hacking tournaments (& photo ops :).  After this year's spring season, they shipped it back to us for some minor repairs & updates.
 
Hackathons typically take place on college campuses over the weekend: "hackers" can form teams of 2 to 5 people and the goal is to create a new piece of "tech"---including hardware, software, etc--maybe a new app, a drone that takes selfies, or new code. (this is not the movie hyped hacking into the banks or CIA)  These competitions have exploded over the last couple years; catching the eye of huge companies that are now sponsoring including Dell & Intel.  Here is the link to the article:
 

It's a great read; highly recommend if you are interested in learning more.  These "kids" are driving new technology & innovation: I think it's pretty amazing!  I'm grateful to be a tiny part of it: so glad Major League Hacking got in touch with me when they were just first starting : )
 
We have created 3 large trophies for them & medals that are given out at the tournaments.
 
It's inspiring to be asked to make something for innovators; sometimes I feel that I'm not worthy, lol!  Although, these types of projects keep me learning & pushing to do better: I have learned to wire lights myself; solder wires & make circuits!  For me, this is a huge breakthrough; as I do not have a tech-driven mind at all...   We are brainstorming now for ideas to make the trophy better/cooler/more awesome---if you have any ideas: send them my way!   We have until July to upgrade.
 
Anyway...digging into upgrading my blog at the moment & thinking of doing some sort of web-class for metal working: any suggestions would be welcome.  Also will be starting an email newsletter soon with info on new projects & maybe some content on how to get started as a metal artist & in public art..not sure if this is something that anyone would be interested in, but I'm toying with ideas.
 
Amber